Friday, May 19, 2006

GUZZLER? Update

Has anyone noticed that Dan Murphy's is celebrating their 50th store opening? This has led to some incredible discounts. You can check out their catalogue online.

Whilst not guzzlers I noted that the Lindeman's Limestone Ridge and Lindemand's St George were on sale for $29.90. I have never seen them below $35-38.

Also 2002 Jacob's Creek St Hugo at $27.90 (or $25.90 as part of a mixed or straight dozen). See! This is what happens when you change your name! I know the oversupply problem has caused a lot of these tremendous reductions however, am I the only one who doesn't like the name change on this wine? Orlando's St Hugo was always a great cab sav label in Australia and it is somewhat sad to see it go.


The first St Hugo that I ever drank was the 1996 (and it was around $37 per bottle then). I was out to dinner with my wine buddy (Lynton) and a few others and we ordered a bottle. I don't know whether it was the wine, the atmosphere, or the company, or possible all three, but I have the strongest memory of the taste of that wine. It was like drinking liquid gold. We got through 2 or 3 bottles of it and when I arrived home late that night I announced, to my freshly woken wife, that we would name our first child Hugo - and we did!

Grant Burge's 2004 Shadrach Cabernet Sauvignon for $39.90 per bottle (or $37.90 as part of a mixed or straight dozen). This is a fantastic wine - although I haven't tried a 2004 - and I can't recal/ ever purchasing it for less than $50-60 per bottle.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz