Wednesday, May 03, 2006

How do you store your wine?

In this morning's blog Wine Cabinet - STILL NOT HERE!! I discussed the wine cabinet I am purchasing and what I looked at. I live in a sub-tropical climate where heat is a problem and there are vast changes in temperature in the one day (at different times of the year).

How do you overcome the problems of temperature, temperature fluctuation, vibration and light if you don't have a wine cabinet or a purpose built cellar? I would be interested to know people's ideas.

One reason for this is the fact that I have only ordered a 252 bottle wine cabinet and I have a lot more wines than that. I am hoping to keep just my premium wines in there.


Let me know what you do?





3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWC has a 50 bottle wine fridge where I keep only the very best bottles. I used to keep them under the house in what appeared to be a perfect sub-basement/crawl space until I discovered it wasn't nearly cool enough in summer.

BTW, The best bottles include 3 bottles of bordeaux for each of my kids. Their birth year vintage, natch. :-) (1996 & 1998)

I also have a wine rack handy that holds quite a few decent wines that will be consumed within a year or two.

Unfortunately my wine storage is at capacity and I need more room so I may ultimately be forced to ante up for a big one like yours or to dig out a cellar in the side of the hill.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under the bed!

My bedroom is mostly underground and this helps to mitigate the heat of summer.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a couple of foam wine boxes (which have tight-fitting lids/fronts) that I keep in, essentially, a broom cupboard in the dead middle of the house. It stays at a reasonably constant, cool temperature. The foam boxes keep the heat out of course, but it does not usually get hot enough in the rest of the house to seep into the cupboard.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz