Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Evans & Tate Shiraz 2001 (Margaret River)

I bought one of the Evans & Tate Margaret River Shiraz 2001 some time ago and went back the next day and bought 2 dozen. I think I paid around $12-14 per bottle. Whilst I enjoy the wine I wish I had curtailed my enthusiasm slightly.

This is a yummy wine (how's that for subjectivity) with berry, dark cherry, pepper and hint of licorice on nose and maybe a touch of mulberry (I ate tonnes of these growing up) on the palate as an aftertaste.

The intensity seems to grow (after swallowing) for a few seconds (I really love it when a wine does that)! It is a medium to full bodied wine with a moderate to long finish accentuated (how do you like that word - we ARE getting flash now) smooth, gentle tannins.

Do you get the idea that I liked this wine???

It is 13.5% alcohol and I rated it an an overall basis at

89-92/100

and per the components

18/20 (maybe worthy of 18.5 but I don't want to blow my high scores just yet.)

Would I buy it again?? Don't need to - still got a heap left!






9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, Mal, you are just living right. Of course, having a way cool wine blog doesn't hurt.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

TWC

Thanks for the comment. This is one of my favourite wines - and at $12-$14 per bottle you can't go wrong. Before the wine glut you would have been happy paying $20 - $25 for a bottle of this. In fact I think the first time I saw it it was at around $18-$19 - and that was a few years ago.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Nia said...

Now I liked this review - could relate to "yummy" and the flavours you described... no 'lifted leafy fruit' to be seen :) The descriptors you used for this wine are words I can use to judge whether I want to rush out and try it :)

As it stands....might just do that!

Cheers
Tannia

9:46 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

Tannia

I have been searching everywhere for another wine that says lifted leafy fruits - and can't find one. I am really keen to find out what they taste like!

re: my tasting notes - I have a cunning plan m'lord (enter Rowan Atkinson) - I start at 'yummy' and work my way up to lifted leafy fruits.

Thanks for visiting

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm
Lifted leafy fruits..actually makes sense to me (of sorts).Bit silly though. Well I understand what the smell might be.
Lifted can be ambiguous in tasting notes. Can have lift as in Volatile Acidity or it can be lifted meaning paricularily light and fragrant. Leafy fruit just means fruity smells that have some leafy smelling character about it ..maybe like a lighter Coonawarra cabernet. What was the wine?
GW

11:26 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

GW

I am not sure - I got it from one of Tannia's blogs at http://wine-whine.blogspot.com/2006/07/labels-daaahling.html

Tannia

Do you mind telling us the wine?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

GW

I have cheked with Tannia and apparently the wine was

2003 Brokenwood Cricket Pitch (Blend)

What do you reckon the lifted leafy fruits were??

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whilst I enjoy the wine I wish I had curtailed my enthusiasm slightly.
To enjoy wine properly you should know the best food and wine pairing.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Cheap Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

Hello I want to congratulate to them by its site of the Web of the excellent looks like entertained and very good very to me it elaborated. I invite them to that they explore a little on my Web site.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz