Friday, September 01, 2006

Dinner with Rob of the Up-punt

You have heard of (if you have read or heard any classic Australian poetry) Clancy of the Overflow, the Man from Snowy River and the Man from Ironbark. Well Rob of the up-punt is none of these! Remember Rob?? He is my brother-in-law and wine buddy and the originator of Robbie's Rule of Thumb. He has been 'up-punting' for some time and he had good reason to last weekend.

Rob and Lisa invited us over for a lamb roast on Saturday night, and I remembered Dr Ed's sage advice and decided we needed a good Sangiovese to go with the lamb. He suggests it is a good combination because the acidity of the Sangiovese helps cut through the fattiness of the lamb.

The first Sangiovese I tried was a Coriole (McLaren Vale) and it tasted much like a McLaren
Vale Shiraz. Later, at an introductory Wine Course run by The Wine Emporium, I tried a 2003 Mazzei 'Badiola' from Tuscany. Ed commented that this is the type of Sangiovese he had had in mind when he advised me earlier. I loved the 2003 Badiola!

Armed with the great memory of the 2003 Badiola I ventured to the Wine Emporium last Saturday to try and 'kill two birds with one stone' by picking up my 2003 Bordeauxs and a bottle of Badiola for dinner that night. I succeeded, but the Badiola was a 2004, and along the way I also succeeded in killing a few brain cells at the Southern Rhone tasting and in denting the wallet with a purchase of a Northern Rhone Syrah -
Cornas 2003 Vincent Paris (or here).

I ended up taking both to Rob's and he added a Penfold's 2002 Bin 389. Yep, it was a pretty good night!

We started with the 2004 Badiola. It was dark red with a tinge of purple. The nose was earthy with hints of licorice, musty leather and oak and a trace of cherries. There were firm tannins and decent length but the intensity of flavour that was present in the 2003, simply was not there in this wine. It certainly had character but when the wine first hits the tongue there is almost no flavour at all, it is almost like water. The flavour builds very slowly and not very far. I was a little disappointed in the 2004 after such a good 2003.

Robbie's and my overall score

86-88/100

and when we scored the individual components we came up with

17.5/20.


Rob was disappointed because the wine promised so much - it had a decent sized punt.




11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what an up punt is, but I (finally) did remember the American term that all the visiting Aussies LOL about.

It was root as in root for the home team. Smirk. I guess most college cheerleaders actually do both of those things. Root for the home team and root for the home team.

Then there is Rooting Hormone, Root Beer, the Root Server, The Root Word, Striking the Root, Rooting the cuttings you just took from the Carnations, but the one that killed all of them off as the exited LAX was the huge billboard advertising

Roto Rooter

which is a service to clear your drains when they clog up. In the phone book there are dozens of Rooter Services.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

TWC

Yep, the old 'root' difference between the US and Australia.

When I was living in Florida and heard how enthusiastically cheerleaders 'rooted for the team' it inspired me to take up a team sport.

If you recall one of the photographs of the animals from our vacation in May/June was a Southern Hairy Nosed Wombat. There is a joke about the wombat exemplifying the typical Australian male.

The wombat eats roots and leaves.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rooting is a VERY English term.
As in ... I had a good root round in the cupboard but could not find it.
GW

9:19 PM  
Blogger Edward said...

Mal,

You've been tagged!

If you are interested

You can read about it here: http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2006/8/21/calling-all-bloggers-things-to-eat-before-you-die.html

Or have a look at by blog.
Free free to ignore this. . .

cheers,

Ed.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looked at Edwards five meals (and the tags). As cosmo as I think I am I just cannot do sashimi, and of course, lips that touch white wine shall never touch mine, a thought that keeps all my friends (and their wives) buying the occasional glass of chardonnay.

And in a shameless bit of self promotion: TWC discusses the appropriate amount of red wine consumption to optimize the known health benefits here.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

GW

I agree, the Australan use of the word 'root', as a verb, does have very English overtones and no it doubt derives from our English heritage. I'd really like to know how the US came up with using the word 'root' as a verb to mean what it does there.

Notice how I go all serious when I can't think of anything smart to say?

7:25 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

Ed

Thanks for the link and the tag - I will check it out in short order. I have been waylaid with Father's Day and one very sick child.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

TWC

I will follow your link but must warn you I may not follow the advice on the amount to drink, as I fear it may be in conflict with the advice my 'inner man' seems to be giving me.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you can accuse me of pandering if you like, but while you and your Inner Man were reflecting upon the proper consumption of red wine, did you notice the quote at TWC from one of Australia's finest?

Ahhh, yes, the lovely Natalie Imbruglia.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Mal said...

TWC

No I didn't notice. Natalie who?? No, really she is big in OZ but not really my sort of music. I hadn't really noticed whether she was good looking or not (my wife is looking over my shoulder as I type this).

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewwww, there's a dang bug in my wine. Be right back.

Okay.

Natalie Imbruglia is hot and you know it. So does your wife, which is why she's looking over your shoulder. :-)

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz