Thursday, June 08, 2006

BEEF WELLINGTON ANYONE?

Last night we had Rob (of Robbie’s Rule of Thumb fame), Lisa and the girls over for dinner. I decided to prepare a Beef Wellington with roast veggies and a baked cheesecake with peaches.

With this meal I brought out a Langmeil "The Blacksmith" Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon and a 1999 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz.


The Beef Wellington used an entire eye fillet, which was seared in a very hot pan and covered with around 1/4 cup of Brandy (ignited and poured over the meat and the flames allowed to die out - pretty spectacular to watch). Once the meat cooled sufficiently I topped it with peppered cheese and some liver pate that had been
mashed with the pan juices. I then wrapped the meat in puff pastry and cooked for around 35-40 minutes.

Earlier in the afternoon I tried my first ever baked cheesecake. Our oldest boy (we call him B1 and he is 4 years old) and I had a lot of fun making it and I think it turned out rather well. B1 crushed the biscuits (ie cookies, for all my American friends) and once the butter was mixed in, helped me to make the shell. I feel a little ‘ripped-off’ though as B1 did not want to lick the spoon (he said he didn’t like it) and I greedily thought there would be more for the better-half and I. B1 then turned about a demolished a couple of pieces after dinner and was backing up again before we stopped him. Over the last couple of days I think he has had more than anyone. He is only allowed a small piece if he eats all his meat and vegetables. I have never seen a four year old ‘wolf’ down broccoli and carrot as he has the last few days.

The wines were fantastic! We started with the Langmeil which was a good Barossa Cab Sav. It was a medium bodied wine with hints of ripe berry. The Chalambar (an onld favourite - but can be a little 'up and down') was also good and complemented the pepper and the beef well. There were ripe plum and berry aromas and flavours. It also was a medium bodied wine with just a hint of oak and soft tannins. Very enjoyable!! However, I do find that the better the food and the conversation, the better the wine drinking experience often is. Do you find the same??


Tomorrow I will share my recent travails in relation to my wine collection and my new wine cabinet(hey, look, yes, I know I am just a bloke who really doesn't have a clue about childbirth but bring this wine cabinet into fruition has been a real 'labour' - you know!). The next few days after that I would like your comments on some of the stuff I have been learning at the wine course - see you then!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz