Friday, April 28, 2006

Dinner on Saturday??

Well, Saturday is fast approaching and I need to work out what I am preparing for dinner and what wines to drink with it.

The Leader of the Opposition has requested lamb. She loves it! I like it too, but sometimes I find it a bit too fatty (
Edward if you read this, is this a sure sign of age and a weakened gall bladder?). However, being the loving and attentive bloke that I am I will acquiesce to the wishes of "SHE, who must be obeyed" and prepare a lamb dish.

Any suggestions anyone? I am thinking of preparing a dish using lamb backstraps (less fat). Maybe slow-roasted (about an hour at 65-70C) and then 10 minutes at 220C? Or slow-roasted and then seared in a pan and then 5-8 minutes at 200C? Served with fresh veggies and potato gratin (my wife loves this when I make it).

However, my wife has been watching a show on Lifestyle Food called "
Great British Menu" where "Some of the UK's top chefs defend their local patch and battle it out with their regional rival to wow the judges and win the ultimate accolade - to cook a dish for the Queen's 80th birthday" (per their website). The dish that took her fancy the other night was prepared by one of the Northern Ireland chefs - New season lamb with a herb and mustard crust and scallion crushed potatoes. I must say the recipe (check out the link) looks fantastic! However, I reckon the Venison Wellington with pickled cabbage looked great too!

I did promise my wife lamb! Whilst the herb and mustard crust looks good I have recently prepared two similar type dishes -
Breadcrumb and pine-nut encrusted rack of lamb to go with a 2001 Evans Tate Margaret River Shiraz and Lamb with mustard which we ate with a Brayduns Hill 2003 McLaren Vale Shiraz, a 2002 Jacobs Creek (why couldn't they leave it as Orlando) St Hugo's Cab Sav and my last bottle of 1994 Limestone Ridge Cab Sav.

Therefore I think I will have to go with the slow pan roasted lamb backstraps with potato gratin. I might serve the young lamb with a young wine and go for the
Hardy's Oomoo 2004 McLaren Vale Shiraz (see Guzzler Update #2 and 7 Effective habits of Highly Successful Guzzler locaters) or maybe a Penfolds 1998 Bin 407?. Do you have any suggestions? I can try to buy one and let you know how it goes.

TWC (
The Wine Commonsewer) asked if he could come over for dinner. You had better get your skates on if you want to make it in time!





2 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

Mal,

Any advice I give is purely non medical and as a wine driker!
Fatty meat is calling for a nice lean tannic wine - try a sangiovese for something different!

Ed

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

Edward,

I will take your suggestion and endeavour to remember to buy a bottle this afternoon while I am shopping for dinner. I will let you know how I go. Thanks!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz