Saturday, April 22, 2006

Oh! What a Beauddy!!

Last night I was late getting home and very late firing up the BBQ for dinner. While the BBQ was warming up I raced down to the wine cellar (for thos not too familiar with my posts so far - the term 'wine cellar' is a technical term, and used extremely loosely in my case). In the cellar I did something that I had not done in a while, something very risky indeed. I went in, without turning on the light, and selected a bottle without knowing what it was. Once up stairs again I was not going to go back down. This is the bottle that we were going to drink with the meal. (I am glad I did not pull out a Grange!! )

The wine I selected was a Yalumba 2000 'The Menzies' Coonoowarra Cabernet Sauvignon - a wine which I had never tasted before. With the first taste you could tell it was a special wine! I won't try to describe it in wine tasting terms as I don't think I could do it justice. I knew it was not a 'guzzler' but a wine to be savoured. It was wonderful - and I turned and said to the Leader of the Opposition - "Oh! What a beauddy!!" (Aussies will understand this use of technical language).

This morning I logged on to see if I could find any reviews on the wine and I found the following reviews:

"The best Menzies that I can remember tasting - I’m not usually a fan. Minerally, gravelly, urranty and long, with a wealth of fine-grained tannins and near-perfect balance. It should cellar terrifically. Drink: 2007-2015." 93 Points; Campbell Mattinson; Winefront Monthly - August 2004

"If you like great Coonawarra cabernet try this. This is the best Menzies I can recall...in 2000 it was the star of the show. Medium-bodied and deliciously elegant, it was made by Peter Gambetta, an old Coonawarra hand...This is classic Coonawarra: crammed with gentle blackberry fruit, drying tannins and a long finish. Drinking well now, but one for the cellar too." Jeff Collerson, The Daily Telegraph (AUS), September 1, 2004

Gold - Limestone Coast (Coonawarra) Wine Show 2003
Gold - Sydney Wine Show 2003

on the Wine Star website where you can order it for $33.99 per bottle. Definitely NOT a 'guzzler' then but would be perfect to lay down for a special occasion. The label on the bottle recommended drinking between 2004 and 2016.

Enjoy!! Tell me, what are you going to be drinking over the weekend?




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on this wine - I have one bottle that I bought at the Yalumba cellar door last year and I haven't tried it since that visit.

I was thinking about giving it around 5 years before drinking - sounds like it should make it based on your experience?

I had my big wine drinking night with friends last night, will probably skip any further drinking for the rest of the weekend.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

Sorry for the delay in replying!! I have no doubt that this wine will go another 5 years. Good luck in trying to wait that long. Remember, it is always better to drink a wine too early and appreciate its potential, than to drink it too late and lament its demise!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz