Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Last of the White Wines!!

Even though I am a 'white wine' type of bloke, I was finding the course interesting and there were even ones I would consider buying like the Vermentino or the Voyager Estate Semillon Sauvignon Blanc.

The last four whites we
were the Kilikanoon Riesling 2004 (Clare Valley), Peter Lehmann Reserve Riesling 2001 (Eden Valley), Salitage Unwooded Chardonnay 2005 (Pemberton WA) and the d'Arenberg "The Lucky Lizard" Chardonnay 2005 (Adelaide Hills).

1. Kilikanoon Riesling 2004 (Clare Valley)
This was a very clean and pure looking and tasting wine. There were good citrus and floral aromas and taste with quite good length. It was also a simple wine - not a lot going on. Enjoyable but not one I would probably buy for myself.

2. Peter Lehmann Reserve Riesling 2001 (Eden Valley)
A very complex wine with some toasty-honey and lots of fresh lime juice and minerally/ wet rock aromas. These followed through to the palate. There was good length. It was quite a complex wine and extremely enjoyable - AND - I can't believe I am saying this - I would go out and buy this one. This, and the Voyage Estate (see last post) were the two best wines of the evening, both of which I would quite happily purchase and drink again.

3. Salitage Unwooded Chardonnay 2005 (Pemberton WA)
The winery's tasting notes say "Fruit driven, stone fruit and tropical fruit flavours. Full mouth feel with balanced acid and long flavour length". I can only agree with the "fruit driven" comment. My only tasting note is "YUCK"!! Not very professional I know but I really did not enjoy this wine - it was sweet and very one dimensional.

4. d'Arenberg "The Lucky Lizard" Chardonnay 2005 (Adelaide Hills)
For a chardonnay (I really do not like any of them) this was very good. I doubt that I would buy it but would be willing to give it another try. There were tropical fruit, spices and something minerally on the nose and tongue (sorry that I can't describe things better, but I am learning - I hope).

To wrap it all up I think the first evening of the wine course was very good. I got a lot of good information from Tony and it was really great to bounce ideas off everyone else and listen to the different adjectives that people used to try and describe the wines. At the end of the evening I still found I was thirsty - mostly for more information.

Have any of you tried any of the wines noted above? If so tell me what you thought of them and if your tasting notes compare. I would love to know.

Next we will look at the reds from the second evening. Until then, drink well and live well!!!








2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....and good riddance, indeed! Lips that touch white wine, shall never touch mine. This is actually a relief to all of my friends, who manage a glass or two annually just to keep things clean. It is even more of a relief to most of the ladies I am acquainted with who also down a glass or two of chard every so often.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

TWC

I knew you would umderstand!!

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz