Saturday, April 15, 2006

Today’s Tasks

As mentioned the other day we are having guests for dinner and they (together with the leader of the opposition) have chosen what they want. Apparently I get no say in the matter but must simply plan the meal, acquire the produce, prepare, cook and serve the meal – oh, and PICK THE WINE (at least they can’t take that choice away from me!)

I will be heading off to Rode Road Meats in a few minutes for a whole Rib Fillet. We will do, what is fast becoming, the usual dance. They will ask if I want that sliced, to which I will reply “No, of course not. Don’t you realize who I am? I am the Wine Amateur!!” They will tell me to “P… off you idiot”.

Not really, but once I tell them I do not want it sliced they do often ask how I am going to cook it. That is the opening I am waiting for! I can then regale them with tales of valour and heroism in the kitchen – well I can at least share my recipe, cant I?

After the rib fillet it is off to Zone Fresh on Newmarket Rd for veggies etc. Zone Fresh is not cheap but I have never seen better quality fruit and vegetables anywhere. When I am preparing for a dinner party I always shop for produce there. They also have a huge range of pancetta, prosciutto, other continental meats and cuts of meat, cheeses, gourmet gelati etc. It is easy to spend a lot of money there.

I need to buy semi dried tomatoes, potato (for the potato au gratin that has been requested using some lactose-free cream), golden eschallots, carrots, corn, mushrooms etc. We have plenty of garlic already and I need to set aside a bottle of the Rochford 2003 Shiraz to make the red wine jus that has also been requested.

I still haven’t made up my mind about the wine but, like I said the other day, it will have to come from the cellar as I have spent too much on wine recently.

I will try to remember to take photos of the meal as it is being prepared and as it is served.

I hope you have a good day too!! Go out and MAKE it a good one. Tell me, what do you have planned?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz