Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Wine Course Reds #3

Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 (Coonawarra) SA
This wine exhibited chocolate and a hint of cigar box. It was velvety with good level of complexity of aromas and flavours. It was well structured with solid tannins but with some finesse or elegance and could well have another 10 years to go. My extra personal notes say "very good - definite buy" - that really says it all!! ($31 per bottle from the Balnaves website)


Mazzie Badiola 2003 (Tuscany, IT)
This wine was made with Sangiovese and had big aromas - more rustic - leather (old shoes) and other funky aromas (sorry - 'funky' is the only thing I could come up with). The tannins were very big - maybe too big, but still a very complex wine and very enjoyable. It was very nice and at around $25 is another buy recommendation. (I haven't seen so many 'buy' recommendations since the Christopher Skase days).



I have been unable to obtain the permissions I wanted in relation to using photographs from various websites and therefore the reviews appear nude! (Calm down TWC!)

I must congratulate Tony Harper from The Wine Emporium for selecting such great wines for the course. All of the reds were enjoyable and there are still 2 more to be reviewed in an upcoming post.






2 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

Mal,

A couple of months ago - I mentioned to try a sangiovese with lamb- the Badiola is along the lines of what I meant. The tannins need food. You can just imagine them cutting through fat. . .

The leather you can smell - I think is slight brett taint. Which some people like.
In this wine it is fine and not overdone.
If you restated an open bottle the next day it would be more pronounced.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

Ed

Thanks for the comment! I really enjoyed this wine - and I think it is still good value at $25.

The tannins on this one could almost cut through the bone and would certainly cut through the 'fattiness' of lamb nicely.

Thanks again for the tip!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz