Saturday, July 29, 2006

Yarra Yarra Dinner

A comment by Murray to my last post (and my subsequent whine) made me remember that next Friday I have something really great to look forward to.

Ian Maclean, Yarra Yarra winemaker, is hosting a dinner at Restaurant II in Brisbane to celebrate his top wine 'The Yarra Yarra' making the prestigeous Langton's classification. There will be a vertical tasting of 10 vintages 1993 - 2003 (none was made in 1996).

I am really looking forward to the evening as we have rustled up a table of 8 friends. Those that remember my wine buddy Lynton from earlier posts (the guy with laurel wreath stuck on his melon) will be pleased to know that he is also going. Our wives and two other couples will fill the table.

I saw an email Ian Maclean sent Lynton in which he said he was bringing a Magnum of Yarra Yarra surprise wine. Don't you just love surprises! If I remember, and if I am allowed to, I will attempt to take photographs. BTW the dinner is being organised in conjunction with The Wine Emporium via Stewart Plant.

The thought of this evening will help me to sail through next week - no probs.





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yarra Yarra is the business. I think I am having dinner with the winemaker tomorrow night. Not sure yet.
Kick Stewart in the nuts for me please.
GW

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

Consider it done - the old size twelves should do the trick!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how was it big boy????
GW

7:50 PM  
Blogger Mal said...

GW

It was a huge night Friday night! When you said they were the business - you were right! The wines (and food) were sensational - not a dud amongst them and they all still had years to go, even the eralier ones.

I intended to write about it over the weekend but I went into the office Saturday and was out most of Sunday and couldn't be bothered Sunday night. I will try to do it tonight.

I gave up the tasting notes after the 1993 as I was too slow. We tasted the wines in three 'flights'. 1993, 1994 and 1995 with entree, 1997, 1998 and 1999 with main and then 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 with cheese platter. There were also a 1999 and 2003 sauvignon blanc semillons and a 2000 merlot.

The wines were all very elegant yet powerful. The wine maker (Ian MacLean) was as down to earth and honest as you would ever meet. He was very open with his information and answered all questions with good humour and grace.

Unable to kick Stewarts as promised as both Stewart and Tony were unable to make it. Apparently Stewart's wife is unwell.

I will try to tell more in my blog tonight, if possible.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your Email and receive the latest posts immediately


Powered by FeedBlitz